Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Prayer

It seems I don't have much time to keep my blog up these days. Being a mommy and a housewife really takes some time!

Lately, I've been doing a lot of praying. I pray for myself, to be patient with my children and my husband, to continue to try to see people how God sees them, to be less judgemental and to give as much of myself as I am capable of with out letting the important things fall to the wayside. All of this is hard for me. I fail a lot.

I've also been praying for my husband. He has been stressed out over a number of different things and he has almost no patience these days. He is depressed and sometimes, I have no clue what to do for him. He has been trying to reach out to his family but they don't seem to want to take his hand. Maybe more and more he will let go of them and "cling" to our little family that he and I have made together, as it says to in the bible (Matthew 19:5). I want so badly for him to be happy and I know that when he lets go of some things that are pulling him down, he will be.

I've been praying for his family, as well. I don't even know what to say about them. I just don't understand. But I ask God to help them and I ask God to help me see them for their good. I do love them, because they're His children and they are Joe's family. And I care about them. But I've been learning more and more that I can't expect much from them in the way of reciprocating any sort of love that resembles a normal family relationship.

I've also been praying for my family, the myriad of things that has hit each of my siblings and my parents...We are a strong family and have come together over and over to help each other in different ways, even if it was just by praying for each other. God has always helped us through everything we've faced and we always know that part of His aid involves the strength and support of our family.

I have to say that prayer is very powerful. I know that when I start each day out with some sort of prayer things go a little better than they do if I don't ask Him to help me and guide me in my daily routines. Especially when it comes to my little babies. My 3 1/2 year old is very crazy these days and she takes up most of my patience and energy. The baby is still very needy, of course, being only 3 months old. And my middle child is...well, most of the time, he's very affectionate. He has a few occasional outbursts of "brattiness" but that's to be expected. He'll be 2 next month.

Yes, I do pray a lot!

I've been realizing more and more that as their mom, I am supposed to pray for them each and every day. It should be my number one duty as their mother, above all the obvious things like making sure they're fed and clean, etc. As they grow older, I will have more and more reasons to pray for them and getting into a routine of that now will make it easier to remember in the midst of all the other things I'm praying for and all the other things I am doing. As a mother entrusted with these precious gifts from God, praying for them is probably the most important thing I will ever do for them in their lives. It allows me to come to a place where I am okay with the idea that they aren't really mine to keep and it allows God to work in our lives to strengthen our faith in Him.

No comments: