Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

5 (Disgusting) Reasons Why I Love Being A Mom

Yesterday, as I was giving the kids their lunch, through the back of the chair my son usually sits in I noticed some random pieces of food underneath his booster chair. After they were finished lunch I wiped his hands and face and then braced myself for what I was going to find underneath the booster chair, as I cannot remember the last time I cleaned under there. The booster chair has a little tray but he likes sitting with us at the table so we've never used it. The tray snaps into a hole probably the size of a quarter. My son likes to shove food down there for fun.

So, as I unbuckled the booster from the dining room chair, I was met with a gloopy gloppy mounded mess of I don't even know what, topped off with an apple slice from lunch and there were a few stray cheerios from breakfast surrounding the mound - like guards protecting their apple queen on her thrown. It made me start to think about all the gross, disgusting, dirty things I meet with on a daily basis as I perform my duties as a mommy. And it made me think about the fact that no matter how grungy these things can be, I love doing them. I enjoy taking care of my children, doing services for them that no one else would or could with as much love as I put into it.


And I find that once I get through all the laundry, the poopy diapers, the bath water that seems to turn to mud as soon as I put my kids in, the spit up on my shirt, the chewed up spit out food my son loves to leave under the table, and yes, even that disgusting goopy mound of apple queens and cheerio guards, underneath it all lies the spirit of these beautiful children who God gave me to love, nurture and take care of.

Here are the top 5 disgusting reasons I love being a Mom:

#5. Wiping snot off my children's faces when they're crying helps me to remember what sensitive little beings they are
#4. Giving my children baths in almost-black water and then having to refill the tub to rinse them off again tells me that they had a really fun day outside
#3. Washing Bella's poopy diapers humbles me and makes me feel like I'm doing a loving service for her
#2. Washing out juice cups full of curdled milk or cleaning up gloppy messes of God knows what beneath the booster seat reminds me to check each day to make sure they didn't leave cups or food laying around.

And the # 1 disgusting reason I love being a Mom is:

#1. Changing diapers, particularly wiping Aidan's large poopy butt, humbles me and reminds me that maybe some day they'll be doing the same for me!

No comments: