Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Monday, May 12, 2008

My Mother's Day Weekend

I don't know about anyone else but this Mother's Day was probably the best Mother's Day I've ever had. My hubby really outdid himself, making sure I knew how appreciative he is of me for taking care of the children the way I do and even though they're still small, he got them involved a little.

My Mother's Day actually started out on Saturday. I went to Maryland to hang out with all my sisters and my mom to celebrate Mother's Day. It is the first year in which our entire group of sisters, including the sisters-in-law are mommies. So there we were, 7 sisters with our Alpha Mommy, stuffing our faces and talking about all kinds of things. Two of us are pregnant (no, not me!) and 2 of us just had babies (yes, me!). It was a very nice time. Thanks, Mary for hostessing us all at your house.

So, while I was gone, my hubby busied himself planting me a vegetable garden as part of my M's Day gift. I now have tons of tomato plants, zucchini, red and green peppers, cucumbers and even a few cantaloupe plants just to see how they turn out.... I can't even begin to express how excited I am. Since we moved here, I've been wanting to plant a vegetable garden in the boxes the previous owners had built and used for their own vegetables. Each season went by and we just didn't have time. Life just sometimes gets in the way of our plans, I guess. This year, I had pretty much let go of the idea even before it was time to start readying the soil. My hubby knew how much I wanted one and thought it would be a fantastic idea to do for me for M's day. How right he was! And of course, because he's so silly and can never wait to give me a gift he knows I'll love, he just had to show it to me as soon as I got home Saturday evening.

The boxes are at the top of a small hill in our backyard, kind of out of sight especially right now because our hill garden is a little overgrown. So he walked me to the steps leading up the hill and made me shut my eyes. I wasn't sure exactly what he had done but I let him lead me up to the top and he positioned me so I could see everything then told me to open my eyes. How happy I was when I did! There were rows and rows of 3 different kinds of tomato plants. Then the peppers and zucchini and cantaloupes. At the back were the cucumbers. He pointed each one out, making sure I noticed that he "planted" the little plastic stakes labeling each one. The vegetable garden is supposed to be from him and Bella.

Not only did he plant me a vegetable garden but he made spaghetti for dinner because I didn't get home until 6:30 or so. My husband makes the best spaghetti! After dinner, he told me we were going to go out to Home Depot and pick out some flowers for the front garden. So we got the kids ready and off we went. He told me his ideas for the bed and told me to pick the colors out. I will have to post pictures. It's really pretty and it will be even more beautiful when the other flowers that were already there are blooming. This, too, was part of my M's day gift. We got back and in the dark, he planted them immediately!

Later, after the kids were in bed, he gave me yet another gift because he just couldn't wait until Sunday. This one was from Angelina and Aidan. It was a Willow Tree figure of a brother and sister. I LOVE Willow Tree figures and want to start collecting them. So far, I have only 3. He also gave me a really cute card from the kids and a really beautiful one from him. And this all was only on Saturday!

Sunday was a great day, too. We got up and he made me breakfast. Pancakes with strawberries in them, eggs and bacon. Yum! Then we got ready and went to church. We never go at the same time because it's hard with the kids, they act really crazy usually, but I had mentioned that I really wanted to go as a family. So we left early to get a spot in the cry room which is usually packed full. It was nice. Noisy but nice. When I go to Mass, I'm by myself and while I like that aspect a little bit, I really feel like I want my family there so even though it was a little hard to pay attention, there actually wasn't the stress we normally have because we were in the cry room and there were kids crying and screaming but it wasn't our kids! And the cry room is meant for that anyway. I miss going to church with my family and I realized that attending Mass isn't necessarily about what we get out of it, which is what Joe usually complains about (not getting anything) and I sometimes feel, but that we're there praising our God and making time for Him, even if we are a little distracted.

After Mass we went to lunch and then drove to the York Galleria mall and walked around. I'd never been there. I got 2 new pairs of shoes because, like a lot of mommies, I've been going with out new shoes for a long time. I have one pair of running sneakers that are 3 years old and that is it, besides a few pairs of cheap flip flops that are rapidly falling apart. I'm usually pretty simple when it comes to shoes, I don't even like to wear shoes and am not usually concerned with buying a pair for every outfit I own. (I don't even own a lot of clothes, either.) But actually, lately, I've been kind of developing a shoe fetish and want to have lots of pairs of shoes...I'd be in big trouble if we actually had the money for that!

So...anyway, that was my Mother's Day weekend. A lot more than I could have ever imagined. It made me realize that even when Joe makes comments about my "not working" and he eludes to the idea that he doesn't think taking care of 3 children all day is hard, I know deep down that he understands a little and that he appreciates what I do. The weekend made me feel very special, like he really does think I'm doing a good job.

Now I have to start planning on how to top him for Father's Day!!!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Yay for a great Mother's Day for you! You deserve it!! I want to start collecting Willow Tree figures too. I got TWO this M's Day. Joe gave me the one with the mother and father both holding the baby. I am relieved he did not get the one you got me! In addition to those, I already had the couple and a little kneeling angel.

Anonymous said...

soapie11
Hold onto him, dearheart. He is a keeper!
Mom

Heather Lea said...

Sounds like a fantasy. Most men need exact instructions on what to do or they do nothing! How lovely that Joe did all this for you!!