Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Monday, June 2, 2008

My Job

My job is housewife. I do not get paid unless you count infinite kisses and hugs and cute smiling faces, which I do! But it is a job nonetheless. My husband and I have a battle pretty often about whose job is the hardest and who does more work, etc. It's a ridiculous, fight, really.. I think I should always win! No, seriously, it's ridiculous because both of our jobs are hard in different ways, each consisting of tasks that can be quite difficult and some that are also very easy. I do often think that I have the harder job because of the emotion that is needed for raising three of God's children. On top of that, I am also in charge of taking care of our home. Neither aspects of my job ever seem very easy. For me, raising my children requires a lot of time, a lot of patience, a lot of commitment, a lot of energy, a lot of emotion and a lot of prayer. And most of the time, it requires all of these things at the same time. Taking care of my home also requires a lot of energy and time and often a lot of prayer even just to get through the smallest thing such as sweeping the hardwood floors without screaming at my kids to stop running through my 'piles,' especially when they do so with their blankets or toys dragging behind them.

My job description includes the general things any person would do to keep their house even the slightest bit tidy plus: changing poopy diapers, washing poopy diapers, cleaning dirty faces and hands, making breakfast, lunch and dinner plus snacks, breastfeeding the baby, giving baths, wiping snotty faces, singing silly songs, reading stories, teaching my 3 1/2 year old her ABC's, teaching all of them about love and God and life in general, battling screaming children, answering the same questions 563 times and reaching in dark corners or underneath furniture for the beloved lost doll or lego...just to name a few. There are many more duties that my job entails but I think you probably can guess where my time goes during the day. I didn't even mention the best parts of my job which are holding my sleeping baby, cuddling with my son and rubbing noses with my oldest (her favorite "snuggling" technique these days) and also holding them when they cry, holding them when they laugh, holding them when they're barfing their brains out (okay, I confess...this last one is not my favorite).

The hardest thing about my job, I think, is the general aspect of giving them my devotion which includes my unconditional love and undivided attention...this second one is often very hard. The emotion that is required to raise children even half as well as God would like me to is immeasurable. Some days it's very taxing and it's all I can do to fall in bed at the end of the day, completely exhausted, just barely able to utter an almost inaudible 'goodnight' to my husband.

The easiest thing about my job is doing all these things out of love, expecting nothing in return. But even though I don't expect anything, I get paid in priceless returns. My 2 year old says 'thank you' even more than my 3 1/2 year old does. The joy I get from my 3 1/2 year old when her eyes light up and she jumps on me with a big bear hug just because I helped her get dressed is almost overwhelming. And I can't even articulate how my heart feels when my 4 month old unlatches and looks at me with her big brown smiling eyes, milk dribbling from her mouth, content and full from my nursing her.

This is my job. It is not to go out into the world to work for more money when we can live on what my husband makes. It is not to sit at home and do nothing all day although some days I am more lax with my duties than others. Some people think I'm being lazy by staying home instead of working in the world but I think they just don't get how unlazy you have to be to do such a job. Most of the comments I hear that allude to such nonsense come from people who didn't or don't stay home with their kids and don't know what it's like. And I'm not saying these people are terrible for not doing so, I'm just saying they don't know what they're talking about and have no room to judge.

Besides, laziness is just not in my job description!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
I've been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!

Thumbs up, and keep it going!

Cheers
Christian, iwspo.net