Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Our President-Elect

Ok, so I lied...I have one more thing to say now that the elections are over and we have a new President soon to be in office...

I'm trying to approach the subject gingerly, with out stepping on any one's toes or offending anyone. I imagine, however, that I will most certainly offend at least one person. And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but that does include me. So if anyone who reads this is offended, I am deeply sorry because that it not my intent...


Let me just begin by saying that I am not racist. Before I really understood all that our President-elect stands for, I was so excited at the idea of having an African American as the leader of our great nation. What a change in times, a humongous step for society and an amazing score for the African American culture! It makes my heart leap at the thought that our country was absolutely ready for an end to the larger ignorance that has given birth to such things as racism, which has plagued every corner of the United States for hundreds of years and still sits not-so-quietly in some parts. However, while we may have been ready for it, I think we may have jumped the gun a little with voting for this particular leader.

I'm sure there are tons of things I do not know about Barack Obama. But what I do know, I don't like. In an earlier post just before the election, I stated my feelings about his character. The fact that he has been elected for sure does not change how I feel. I don't even want to go back into that. The issue in this post is what I think about how he got elected. And this is where I may end up offending someone.

Barack Obama was elected by two categories of people: Those who are so obsessed with the idea of women's right to choose and those who are obsessed with the idea of having an African American president. The problem with the first group needs not even be said, really. Especially if you take into consideration the point of view of a Catholic Christian who is COMPLETELY against abortion, no matter what the situation. The problem with the second group is that most of the people in this category were probably African Americans themselves who couldn't see past the promising light of having a fellow African American in the white house. All they saw was this great accomplishment for their race and they didn't think to brief themselves on the topics of debate, the grounds on which he stood, or his character and shady background. Or maybe they did understand the issues and still didn't feel like they could let go of such a huge step for their race. They were willing to sacrifice anything for the prize. This is what I have a problem with.

I just don't get it. How can people be so utterly blind? I realize that everyone wanted change. I realize that he seems to stand for that. But I don't believe that it's necessarily change that will be for the absolute greater good, which is what we should all be striving for. So I'm a little bit angry...or maybe a lot. I feel like society must be in suicide mode. It seems like everything we do is a blatant stab at ending our existence in the most heinous ways. Abortion, suicide, drugs, diseases, homicide...

Like I've stated before, I'm not one for politics. I try to avoid the whole subject at all costs. This year this election has been so historical in so many ways. I couldn't sit it out. I couldn't just turn a blind eye to the subject of our nation's next leader and pretend like it wasn't my duty to be involved. I may not understand how everything works or every single detail about what so and so stands for (my guess is half of what they say is a lie anyway)... But I do know that I did have a moral obligation to pay at least half attention to what was going on and pray about it and decide who to vote for. To tell you the truth, I wasn't too happy about our other main option either but I felt like a vote for the third choice, the Independent party, would be a waste because technically, it would be one less vote counted AGAINST Barack Obama.

However, I have to concede at least some of my support to our next president. My sister posted a little note on her facebook page about how we need to accept him as our president and all of that. I agree. She quoted Matthew 5:43-45. This passage is about loving our enemies and praying for them. It's about them being God's children too. We need to support our president in any way we can, even if we don't like him. It's a hard task for me personally. I am trying very hard to at least utter some words of prayer for him. I try to pray that he will lead our nation justly and all of that but I also pray for his soul. Through all of my feelings, my anger about this whole deal, I will at least do what God asks of me.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not." Proverbs 3:5 NAB

No comments: