Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Change of Seasons Part Two- Winter


The first day of Winter was officially December 21 this year. Last week we had a couple of inches of snow and the kids were so excited! But then the sun came out and the temperatures rose to unseasonably warm digits and before we knew it, there wasn't much white stuff left to play in. A few nights ago, however, temps. were back to the low twenties and we had some freezing rain and more recently, lots of gusty wind. Despite this, however, I am blessed to find many wonders in the magic of the Winter season. As it settles into its own comfortable spot to dwell for the next few months, I am attempting to settle into a warm place in my mind that will allow me to enjoy the season with out letting in the cold.

Just like with the changing from Summer to Fall, this change that has been upon us is a time to marvel in God's beautiful world and how everything works together for the perfect cycle of life to take place. In nature, everything affects everything else. It's amazing how the birds know to fly South when the weather starts getting cold and many animals, like bears find their way to a cozy hiding spot to sleep the Winter away in a series of long naps. Weeks before Winter was even a gray glimmer on the golden horizon of Fall, other animals such as squirrels were storing food to last them these frigid months and those bears were already headed to their places of hibernation.

And while the animals are busying themselves for the lazy long-haul, hunkered down in their little niches of the world, we humans have been getting ready for Christmas. Now, Christmas is fast approaching and as I try to slow myself down some to be able to think about and appreciate the true meaning of the season, I am realizing how much we take for granted, especially this time of year. Instead of basking in the beauty of this past week's snow and glorifying God for His amazing abilities, I am betting a lot of people were grumbling about how it affected their plans to shop and their time schedules for work and play. I imagine that some people didn't stop to catch snow flakes on their tongue or throw a snowball or two at someone else for fun. As the scenery around us changed from a gray wet mess to a beautiful white blanket, I bet it was hard for many to just stop and thank God for His perfect creation and enjoy the weather in its entirety. I myself find it hard to appreciate the beauty that surrounds me when I'm freezing cold and just want to get inside.

My favorite secular Christmas song is "Baby, It's Cold Outside." I'm not exactly sure why I like it so much except I feel it portrays what many of us are thinking when we're warm and cozy inside with loved ones near, knowing that the time to leave is coming too soon. The cold outside portrayed in the song could have many different meanings and for a lot of us, especially me, I do feel rather cold when I'm not around my family.

But in my mind, I'm imagining that I am just Momma bear snuggling up with my cubs for the winter. And the chill outside is definitely not welcome in.


No comments: