Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Super Mom?


I keep hearing the words "super mom" used in reference to me and I really have to say, it kind of makes me feel uncomfortable. Would it be not-so-humble of me to say that I am too humble to use such words when talking about myself? I don't even feel like a super mom. For some reason, when I think about that title, I am instantly drawing pictures in my head of this strong woman who never lets her emotions get in the way of her duties; a beautiful woman who is so sure of herself that she welcomes age with open arms, including and especially everything that being a mommy adds to the aging process. This super mom has perfect little children who always say 'yes mam,' do as they're told with out attitude or complaint, and always clean their plates. This mom has an immaculate house and a happy husband who gloats about her to his friends. For me, "super mom" just seems to glimmer up there just out of my reach and I'm quite unsure as to why anyone would say that I am she.

A lot of people reference her when I am pregnant again. Like the mere fact that I can have more than one child without tearing my hair out and going completely insane warrants such an honor. Some just say it because they happen to be at my house when it's in decent order and the children are actually behaving. How do they know that I wasn't frantically cleaning just before they arrived - the pile of dirt I swept under the rug would be proof enough; and that I didn't give my children Benedryl so they would be too tired to act like brats? Of course, I really wouldn't do such a thing but in all seriousness, I just don't think that this title is for me.
A super mom can multitask as if it were going out of style. She can handle 3 children under 5 with patience and wisdom and understanding. She can fly through her chores with ease and make sure that dinner is always ready for her husband when he gets home from work. And she can do all this without it weighing her down, without it making her feel like she isn't a hundred years old with no life of her own. Her children will be content, having had the perfect amount of mommy time each and every day; which in turn causes them to behave. They will be respectful and will listen when she talks to them, understanding that everything she does for them is done out of love.

I'm not sure I fit that description in any way.

But I do know that I am doing what I feel God wants me to do. And some days I am just not quite able to. I fail a lot in my duties, if for no other reason than the fact that I do not have much control over my emotions, which are a large contributor to how I handle each day. I don't always have the house spotless and the children are not always behaving like angels. But I do teach them about love, specifically God's love for all of us as His children. I try to discipline them, though I don't always get it right and I am often impatient. I try to speak to their hearts, knowing that it is the heart that guides a person's behavior in life.

In general I am trying very hard. And if having a heart for God, that wants to do whatever I am capable of to raise these children to know Him, deems me a "super mom" then maybe I am she after all.

No comments: