Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Milanos at Nine


Big mistake...eating those Milanos at 9:00 last night. I was just craving something chocolaty and sweet, and I knew I couldn't overdo it because of the late hour. And thank God hubby didn't buy double stuff Oreos at the store.. I could have more easily gone overboard with the sickeningly sweet creme-filled cookies. While they're definitely not nearly as distinguished and rich and yummy as Milanos, they're just sick enough to be absolutely delicious! Not to mention that I am pretty sure they have some sort of addicting agent in them anyway so it really doesn't matter how sick Oreos are. I did pace myself with the Milanos but I probably should have just avoided them altogether.

So at midnight I was still wide awake and tossing around in my bed, in a sort of crazed delirium of sugary sleeplessness, wondering if I really ate only the two or three cookies I was remembering in my head. My mind slowly cycled back to earlier in the evening when the actual crime took place. We were in the living room watching the season premier of American Idol. Angelina was on the couch, recovering from a day of throwing up. Bella was in bed. Hubby was in the chair. Aidan was wandering around, unable to settle down enough to stay in bed. I decided I wanted a little treat - or rather, this baby in my belly decided. So I made my way to the pantry and checked out my snack choices.


For a minute, I didn't even remember the bag of Milanos my husband had lovingly brought home for me the night before. I waited for that little tickle I get when I have found something I know will satisfy my craving, as my eyes took inventory of all of my options - gold fish, pretzels, a box of vanilla wafers from God knows when. And then - on the top shelf of the pantry, illuminated by the fluorescent bulb hanging low from the ceiling, there sat the Milanos. They were dangerously close to the edge, as if by some magical force they had inched themselves closer to me, purposefully catching their crisp decorative bag in the glimmer of the light just to attract my attention.
Tickle. Tickle. Tickle.

At first I grabbed just one from the bag. One would be enough, right?. I could satisfy my sweet tooth, indulge myself just enough and go to bed content without feeling guilty of overloading my growing baby or my body with sugar. But you can't eat just one Milano - especially when it's the DOUBLE CHOCOLATE flavor and most especially when you're a pregnant women who has just had a hard day of running back and forth for a sick 4 year old, cleaning up throw-up along the way. Oh, and did I mention I'm a sugar addict?

I am pretty sure it was only two or three that I ate, but let me give myself a reality check here and see what only two or three Double Chocolate Milanos actually breaks down to in crazy sugar-addict terms... Basically it means that the 15 grams of sugar that the "measly" three cookies offer equals jittery bouncy time of at least a good half hour. And that's with absolutely no other sugar added in for at least a few hours before or after consuming those 15 grams. So, basically, I was a goner the moment I pulled that beautiful bright bag down from the shelf in the pantry.

In retrospect, I realize that if hubby had never brought them home for me in the first place, there would be no temptation to begin with. But I can't blame it on him. It's my fault I'm such a wimp when it comes to fighting the temptation of sweet chocolaty goodness. Or - I could blame it on the makers; Pepperidge Farm. I mean, have you ever read the back of one of their bags of cookies? Let me just quote here from the back of a bag of the Double Chocolate kind:

"Picture, if you will, its subtle contours, its perfect balance. Imagine, for a moment, those exquisite golden cookies. Now, especially consider that layer of deep, luxuriously rich, dark chocolate...OK, now totally double that last part.."

'Nuff said.

No comments: