Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Since I've Been Having Babies


Through the pregnancies and births of all my babies,
My hips have widened
My skin has stretched, with permanent marks like tiger stripes strewn across my belly -
which once was flat and flawless
My feet have grown bigger and I imagine if I have a few more babies,
they'll be Flintstone feet for sure
My hair has fallen out and grown back, and is a lot straighter than it used to be
My body itself has evolved from a slender frame with bony edges to a rounder shape of squishy-ness
And I worry constantly about my appearance, where my youth has gone, where my little perky body went..where my mind and energy are

But then I think about how losing all of these paltry things has caused me to gain so much....

Through the pregnancies and births of all my babies,
I have grown wider in my knowledge and understanding of LOVE
My heart has stretched, with permanent marks of my children's lives etched into its center
My world has grown bigger, filled with the limitless possibilities of how life will play out
My fallen life has straightened out into something I never would have imagined
And my body, my mind and my energy are spent holding my children when they cry, unconditionally loving them even when they don't seem to love me and giving them every piece of me that they can possibly have.

No comments: