Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Serving Him, Serving Them, Serving Where I Am


A fellow blogger had a wonderful post on her blog yesterday that really spoke to my heart. It was about serving where we are. As I read her post and then contemplated its meaning and significance in my life, I was convicted of its message. No matter what season we are in in our lives, how many children we have, or what our daily list of duties entails, we are to serve Him whenever and however we can.

I often have anxiety about doing what I feel God wants me to do as His servant. It's like I'm always running uphill in order to get to where I think He wants me to be. I feel bogged down by my daily life sometimes; chasing after four children, trying to keep some semblance of order and structure in our household, really dedicating my very being to loving my children unconditionally, and teaching and disciplining them in that love. I am often impatient, anxious, exhausted. I don't usually get relief from these feelings unless I make time to actually sit in the quiet with God and mediate on His love for me and the boundless grace He bestows upon me each day.

The thing is that in my relinquishing to Him the aspect of child-rearing, in my total commitment to raising these children to be His servants as well, in my complete devotion to loving them the way He designed love to be, and in my willingness to abide by His rules for our life as a family, I am serving Him. I find it difficult to remember this sometimes. When I desire to be writing for a bigger audience, possibly getting published, when I want to be helping other people, volunteering my time, and when I wish to be talking with friends who need to find Him in their lives, I lose sight of the idea that at this time, in this season in my life, I just need to trust that what I am doing at home is what is important and that if there is a "bigger picture" that needs to be addressed, He will bestow upon me the time, the space, the energy for me to do so.

But for now, serving Him where I am means serving my children and my husband: nursing my baby, making meals, cleaning my house, changing diapers, doing laundry, and maybe even writing on this blog when I get a chance. I need to be content in the notion that He has me where He wants me to be, no matter which moment of my life I am existing in.

Thanks, Judy for such wonderful insight to a topic I am in constant battle with!

3 comments:

Daily Grace said...

I remember going to morning mass one day, long ago. A woman told me that all she wanted was to be closer to God, and that was her daily prayer to Him. Then one day while she was praying she felt she heard Him say, "then you must be my servant." From that day on her prayer was, "Lord, make me a servant!"

What a beautiful way it is that you have chosen to serve the Lord!

God bless

Angela said...

It is a beautiful post and I think it applies to everyone in every situation! We are right where God has us at this time in our life. And all we can do is follow, and as Daily Grace stated, serve. Look forward to reading more! Welcome to Catholic Mothers online! :)

Angela

Rebecca said...

Thanks Angela, and Daily Grace! I find myself really wanting to not only be the best mother I possibly can be, in every aspect of motherhood, which I feel is what His standard is.. but also just wanting to serve Him in the best way I know how. Right now, that's striving to be a really great mother, not on the level of what the world thinks is a great mother, but what He thinks is (or what I think He thinks is!!)