Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Just a little note!

The first time I ever heard of the amazing midwife, Ina May Gaskin, I was pregnant with my first baby. I didn't know much about her but I learned more as I became a mother for the first time. When I was pregnant with my second baby, I read about her even more, read her book "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth," and really fell in love with her! After getting to know her ideas and beliefs concerning childbirth and a woman's body, the idea of a natural childbirth at home really appealed to me, especially after I had the experience I did with my first baby's birth. I wished I lived closer to her center at The Farm so I could birth there! Her center is well-known for "low rates of intervention, morbidity and mortality despite the inclusion of many vaginally delivered breeches, twins and grand multi paras*." She even has a maneuver named after her (The Gaskin Maneuver), which is widely-known in both the obstetrical and midwifery fields.

Today I learned she has a new book out called "Birth Matters," and I really think it probably is a very good read for any mama out there, whether new or experienced. I haven't read it yet but would like to get my hands on it. I entered a contest through Mothering Magazine today to try to win a free copy and I decided to post the link on here. If you would like to enter, go here. If I win, I will be sure to post a review soon. If I don't, at some point I will read the book and post a review then!

Good luck to all of you who decide to enter.


*Taken from the biography section of Ina May's website

No comments: