Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Thursday, July 7, 2011

In Light Of......

.......the current events... i.e. Casey Anthony and the murder of her daughter Caylee....I just had to say something.

There's a lot going around cyber world and in the "public square" about how Casey Anthony is guilty and she must pay. We have to have justice for Caylee, right?

Wrong.

We don't have to have anything.

Believe me, as a mother of 4 small children, I'm just as angry that a little girl's life was snuffed out probably by her mentally ill mother. I'm angry that if Casey is guilty, the jurors couldn't figure that out; that they didn't feel they had enough evidence. I even start down that road of cynicism toward God and want to ask Him why? But it doesn't matter why and I will never get the answer I think I want anyway. I'll get the truth, something I already know. Because He is God and the small smudge we live in is just a tiny part of a much bigger picture which He is painting of His world.

I'm more upset over the fact that the anger of a lot of people is being spewed outward into society over this case and is causing the anxious stirring that it has. It's like a virus, passing along from one person to the next, breeding even more anger and hatred for this woman and for the judicial system, which we all already know has its flaws. Some of us know this better than others, sadly.

But you see, it's not up to me - or you - to take our feelings and go out with guns blazing and shouting like mad people into the world, across Facebook and blogs and- if you're lucky enough to get your 15 minutes of fame- on T.V.

Why not?

Because this world means absolutely nothing compared to our eternal home. We are here for a far greater purpose than to sit and stir our pots of anger, hatred, misfortune, jealousy, etc. We are here to serve. In my experience, the best possible way to serve is to pray for other people. People like Casey Anthony. I know it's hard not to act on our angry impulses in the way we naturally feel led to. I have failed miserably at keeping mine in check at times in my life. But the more I seek to serve others, which ultimately means serving God, the easier it is for me to work on that aspect of my human nature, to allow the Holy Spirit to consume me and calm the emotional charge I feel inside whenever I hear anything that makes my heart ache. And then I can turn it into a positive action.

What does talking about it in this hateful manner do anyway? Does it bring Caylee back? Does it give Casey a different sentence? The answer to both of those questions is NO! All it does is breed contempt, hatred, violence - all the things that drive someone to do something so despicable anyway. The ones who act this way only serve their own purpose - self satisfaction - and the end result is a furthering of the downward spiral we are in as a society.

We have to move on from this. We have to let go of our feelings and just give them to God. We have to have faith that God sees the entire picture He has painted and that it fulfills a greater purpose. Life is not ours; it belongs to Him. I am convicted of this every time I look into the innocent blue eyes of my oldest child, a life which was created to fulfill His plans at a time when I could only see mine. It was for His purposes. Not mine. Not my husband's. His. Same with my other three- little lives entrusted to us by their Creator; lives which ultimately don't belong to us at all. He could take them all tomorrow and there's nothing I can do about it. And I just have to trust in Him that it was part of His bigger plan which is made out of love.

How hard is it to look at what we deem a monster and say I love you? Very hard, no doubt. Very hard but possible. God calls us to love. He calls us to hate sin but He does not call us to hate the sinner. Very hard as well. Love Casey Anthony. Pray for her soul. She will get whatever sentence the Ultimate Judge sees fit to give her, and little Caylee might not have justice in this world but it doesn't really matter now that she lives in eternal happiness in the next. She's not looking down on her mother wondering why. She knows why because she's happily bouncing on her Father's knee as He shares all of the secrets of the world with her, including why she died. She is probably in heaven praying for her mother's soul, just like we should be here on earth.

I pray for everyone, including myself, who have felt bitter anger over this situation, and any other situation in their lives. I pray that the peace of the Holy Spirit will settle in our hearts and help us to turn our negative feelings into positive action, to change our own lives and that of at least one other person.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thank you for this true and sobering perspective.