Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Home That Love Built

I have been thinking a lot lately about my uterus. Yes, you read that right; I have uterus on my mind. The fact that I've been thinking about it at all has kind of bewildered me. I mean, one doesn't really think of one's uterus very often, right? It's not one of those things on the brain like homeschool schedules or meal plans or cravings for chocolate. It could be the fact that I have four adorable little children whom I've birthed into this world [from my uterus!] and whom I spend each day with as they challenge me, grow me and make me who I am. They are a constant reminder of where they came from; that they were once inside my body for such a short time, but have my heart forever. It could be that I have two other babies in heaven who, for a very brief moment in time, each called my uterus their home but didn't make it very far. And I miss them sometimes, when I think of them. I never got the chance to feel their movements within me or rub my belly where their tiny feet or hands rested just on the other side. Or it could be that it's because I have yet another new and tiny human being nestled snuggly and securely in the secret depths of my growing womb. Nonetheless, whatever the reason, it's been on my mind a lot.

I guess I have to say I'm in awe. Each baby I become pregnant with never seems to dim the glow of the miracle of life. As each baby is unique, each with its own worth, purpose and design, each with a specific path in life, that ever-present factor of amazement and wonder shines as brilliantly as it did the first time.. And the second.. And the third. And...well, you get the picture. I think about the quiet beginnings of such a miracle - a tiny baby inside a protective egg, planted in a secret place so as to not be disturbed while it grows and thrives. And inside this secret place, within the darkness and warmth, the Master continues His work, knitting together the life of a very special and precious individual. Out of His great love and tender care, He created this environment to protect and sustain each tiny life as they grew inside of me. He designed the most intricate details to nourish and nurture each baby, even from the moment he or she was conceived.

I think about this, each moment in each pregnancy, every detail of the Master's work, and I am just floored by the very existence of such a place: A strong, beautiful muscle that every woman is born with, serving the purpose of sustaining life. A home for these precious little people as they grow and change and eventually become able to live outside their warm, protective surroundings. A home that has the ability to sustain not just one baby, but two, three or often more all at the same time! It's a home that does not need decorating or renovating but is beautiful in so many ways. Unlike our stick-built homes, it is a home that grows with the baby, who only feels "cramped" at the last moments when it's time to leave anyway. It's a home that begins each new life in gentle and quiet peace, providing everything that is needed for baby to survive. A home built for the sole purpose of growing that new life. A home that love built.
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth." Psalm 139:13-15

No comments: