Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Friday, April 6, 2012

B is for Babies!

Of course I'm going to write about babies! I am going to be having my fifth one in the early Fall! We are very excited...and a little scared. But, as always, babies are a blessing. It doesn't matter what circumstances we face, nor does it matter how difficult it might get. God blesses people with babies at the exact moment He chooses to and He NEVER makes mistakes. We have been willing to open our lives to whatever His will is for us; no stipulations, no conditions, just 100% YES. And have we been blessed. Even in the most tragic and trying times, blessings have poured out in abundance from our willingness to allow the Lord to plan our family and our life.

The loss of our last baby has haunted us in this pregnancy quite a bit. But we are reminded with each new day that even in that baby's short time of existence, s/he had a purpose and it was God's choice whether or not we ever got to meet our precious one this side of the womb. We don't have that choice. No one does but God. I wish more people understood that. I wish more people would see how amazing it is to believe in God's infinite wisdom, His boundless grace and mercy, especially when He bestows a gift upon us such as a tiny new life in the middle of very difficult circumstances. It speaks of His awesome power and generosity. It speaks of His perfect everlasting love.

Now, I won't mar this post up with a lot of my thoughts and truths about respecting life. I think I speak about that a lot and sometimes, I get tired of it. I get tired of the heart-breaking reality of abortion, the lives I see destroyed because of it, the siblings and other family members of aborted babies who will never know their laughter, touch or tears. Thinking of the women who can't have babies or have a difficult time in that area, yet there are others who choose to get rid of theirs. I don't want to go there today.

Today I want to rejoice. I have been feeling my own baby move within me a lot more lately. I have had such a peace about his/her existence. Despite our circumstances right now, despite how completely inadequate I feel, I praise my Father for His perfect timing in creating this new life for me and my husband and our other children. I praise Him for the blessings AND the challenges that will come (and have already), and for His strength, which is sufficient enough. I may not be able to do everything on my own. Motherhood is one of life's greatest challenges, whether you have one baby or ten. But God provides everything we need to take it on- not always with confidence or even success, but with the assurance that He is filling in the gaps where we fail, strengthening us for the journey, carrying us when we can't take one more step on our own. This baby is a sign of hope. A sign of peace. A sign of love. You can't EVER go wrong with any of that. No matter what anyone says.

*The picture above is of Angelina and Isabella welcoming their little sister Sophia just hours after her birth. The little hands off to the left belong to Aidan, still the only boy but we'll see with this next one!*

1 comment:

Jody said...

Congratulations of the new life. Children and gifts and treasures from God. I stumbled upon your blog via A to Z and have been blessed and encouraged by your post.
Blessings!