Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Saturday, April 14, 2012

H is for Happy Day

My birthday was a month ago. March 12th to be exact. I turned thirty. Yup, the BIG 3-0. I can't say I feel a lot different but I can say it definitely has made me stop and think about how fast this life is chugging away. Thirty. I just can't believe it. I remember being a little girl and running barefoot down the sidewalk in front of our house in races with my brothers. I remember middle school and trying to learn how to fit in with crazy curly hair and knobby knees. I remember high school and oh my..lets not even go there. And now I'm thirty. I'm a wife. I'm a mom. I have five children. And I still have crazy hair and knobby knees.

But, instead of being too terribly philosophical or sentimental about the turning of the page to open a new chapter, a new decade of my life, I'm just going to talk about my wonderful party we had to celebrate!! We waited until after Lent to throw it so it just took place today. Slightly over a month after my actual birthday but it was worth the wait! My sister Kate and friend Jenn (who I consider my sister, too) helped my husband plan and execute a day that I will cherish forever. Even when I'm 90 and my curly haired, knobby-kneed great-grandkids are schlepping me across the room in my wheel chair at their mother's 30th birthday, I will remember mine with a joy-filled heart. (And probably try to reminisce about it to anyone who will give old great-grandma an ear.)

We had a good turn-out of people. I think it was something like 60 or so. About half were kids. Ha! Ha! We had some delicious food and fun music. (I really like Oldies..and I mean real Oldies...like from the 50's and 60's, not the 90's for all you young whipper snappers out there who don't know what a true Oldie is!) And we had even better company. It was so nice to enjoy the day with people who I am certain care deeply about me and who came to show me their love. I got a few bouquets of beautiful flowers, some very nice gifts and heart-felt cards, and had the opportunity to sit and eat without having to get up a hundred times to get my kids anything. (I know, right?!)

It was a day I'll never forget. Thanks to everyone who made it happen and who came out to share in my turning yet another year older. I am truly blessed with the abundance of love and generosity that flows through our family.

*Photos from top-bottom: Joe and I sharing a dance to "Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos, Gorgeous bouquets of flowers, Cupcakes my sister Kate made, My nephew Adam enjoying his cupcake.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I just want you to know that when you see my mom photo up there,in your followers, it counts for the both of us.

your niece
Victoria=)