Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

It's My Birthday!

Me, last summer, pregnant w/#5
Today I am 31.  Not 58, not 100, like my kids have joked about.

Thirty-One.

Last year, my wonderful husband, along with my sister and my friend, threw me a fun birthday party to mark my passage into the thirties.  I was so blessed to see so many of my family and friends, and I missed those who could not make it.  But I felt no different than 29.

Today I do not feel different than 30.

At times, I have felt 58, or even 100, since I started having babies.  So nothing new there either.

This time last year I was pregnant with #5 and now he is 6 months old.  That's different.

This time last year I was full of anticipation for our future, anxious and overwhelmed with what I hoped would come soon.  That's different, also.  Because this year I'm a little more calm and peaceful over our future, though I do have my days, and getting here to this place of rest took a long, long journey.

Me at 1 or so
Today, I guess, just marks another year's passing.  A day I can reflect over the last 12 months and take inventory of my accomplishments and failings over the year, all that has happened, and all that hasn't.  I can thank God for all that He has blessed me with in my 31 years.  For the family I was born into, as my sister Cori just said to me on the phone, 'My life is better because you're in it; happy birthday.  I'm glad we got the family we did.'  I am glad, too, Cori!  I have been so very blessed by the family I was born into.

I can also thank God for what He has done for me in my life.  What He's doing for my husband and our children.  For all the memories I've been able to create; for all the blessings and challenges of old, and the ones the future will bring.

I look back on different moments in my life, in awe of the divine plan that surrounded me and how unaware of it I was. I am in awe of the guidance I've had, though I have strayed from it at times. I look at pictures of me as a little girl and I wish so many things for her; things I wish I could tell her to help her through the next few decades.  But I have a feeling she wouldn't listen to me anyway.

Today I celebrate my mother's birthing day.  I celebrate all the people in my life, especially those who have challenged me. I celebrate my husband, for loving me and our children, for making the last 9 + years of my life what it has been to me: a gift, a learning experience,

         a dance in the rain despite the storms,
                    the magic of travels through a waterfall of hope.

Today I celebrate not just my birthday, but Life.

 The moments behind me, and the ones yet to live.

Me and my big sister, Kate
First or Second Grade at St. Johns!

This funny picture is from when I was about 11


1 comment:

Tina said...

Nice to meet a sister in Christ! I'm here to welcome you to the A-Z Challenge and let you know that I'm a contact for you if you have any questions. Thanks for having your badge up!


Tina @ Life is Good
Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
@TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge