Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Sunday, March 10, 2013

What Do I Know About Beauty?

In case you missed the announcement, I am doing the A-Z Blog Challenge in April.  Actually, attempting to do the challenge would be a better suited phrase here.  In any case, I previously mentioned two ideas given to me for my posts:

Beauty
&
3 random words from which I choose 1 to write about.

As I thought more about these, I thought 'hmmm...maybe I'll combine them.'   

So, now that I've decided what to do (and my friend Katie is graciously supplying me with the words), here's my challenge:  What do I know about beauty?

My sister, Corita, who gave me the idea to write about beauty, said that I actually write about it often on my blog already, and I will do fine.  I write about my kids, I write about life.  Both of those themes are beautiful in so many different ways, even in the challenges presented by each.  I still felt a little hesitant.

Today as I watched my children have a contest to see who could make the best picture for me using sidewalk chalk and organic matter scavenged from our yard, I realized that there is much beauty in every single thing, if only I will look.  Surely I can write about that, right?  I don't actually have to know much about beauty to begin with, as long as I'm willing to make efforts to discover it.

Sometimes beauty is the senseless gatherings of a three year old, haphazardly thrown into a pile.. 
           a beautiful mess.

 
       Sometimes it's the shadows creeping over the house, chasing the sun to the western sky, dividing artwork into two landscapes.



Sometimes it's red winter berries scattered 
         on the driveway by little hands 
attempting  
            to express  
LOVE.


 
Sometimes it's colorful boats 
sailing 
across an asphalt sea.




Sometimes it's just the JOY your heart feels watching your children work together in teams to create art and win a prize.
Cori lamented that we label things as beautiful because they have some sort of divine order to them  Perhaps that is true. Perhaps there is a "method" to God's madness when He created children in all of their messy, clumsy, crazy ways.  And in the brown, barren landscape of March silently awaiting Spring.  And even in the scattered materials of little artists showcasing the inner workings of their minds as they attempt to please their mama. 



" Beauty is the shadow of God on the universe." - Gabriela Mistral, Desolacíon

No comments: