Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Beauty of the IMAGINATION

My 8 year old creates colorful pictures of fairies and princesses and tells me who they represent (me, her friends, etc) and how we're having tea parties and dancing in the ballet.  She makes nonsensical, funny jokes and plays dress-up with her sisters, pretending to be their best friend or their teacher. She holds her baby brother and tells him she's his mommy, cuddling him close and asking him if he is hungry, that she'll take him to the store in her car, and they'll go play at the park.  She likes to play Barbies, making them have elaborate conversations about life.

My 7 year old draws me brilliant pictures of Angry Birds in battle with the Pigs.  He fills the whole page with color.  He puts scenes together of dinosaur stickers and tells me stories about how they warn each other of the approaching T-Rex.  He flies through the house with paper airplanes, on a mission to bomb the dog, or another equally destructive task. 

My 5 year old pretends she's a mommy; usually her little brother is her child.   She's also a midwife, helping her sisters to birth a baby.  She dresses up in silly mismatched clothes and my shoes.  She ties herself up outside, waiting for her older brother to come rescue her from "danger."  She brings me trays of plastic food and tells me I need to eat or I will starve.
My 3 year old comes to me with pen and paper, sparkly dress and pig ears, says she's taking orders for lunch.  She talks about her "collection" a lot, though I'm not really sure which it is at any one time- crumpled papers, stolen lip gloss or a hodge-podge of tangled bracelets, necklaces and hair-ties from her dress-up bin.  But they're all equally important; treasures she's stolen from a dragon (her oldest sister?), or found in a secret cave.

I run through the house with a tiara on my head; I am the zombie princess (or so says the kids), chasing after my prey.  I'm eating air-cupcakes and drinking plastic milk as we sit around a pretend table.  I tell my daughter stories of her pet "Piggie," detailing our day as Piggie and I had lunch together and went swimming at the park.

My husband is a monster, hiding from the children, waiting to jump out and scare them.  He's a horse, a knight, a punching bag as they gang up on him and fight to save their kingdom.  He partakes in the food made of air and plastic drinks.... and even a tiara occasionally adorns his head.


The beauty of the imagination is that it is limitless, ageless, effortless.  It draws an ordinary family together so as to create and store away extraordinary memories.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

I loved to hear about my cousins and your fun, sounds very...whats the word? Interesting.And fun.

PS. if you see my blog I kind of stole your idea. I din't know what to do for I!
Love your blog!

anothercleanslate said...

So fun when you get inside a child's imagination! Love your post. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy Campbell said...

I will bet...if I were a betting woman, they got it all from you! Cute post! Great kids!! www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com