Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Friday, April 19, 2013

The Beauty of QUIET

It's just a few minutes before 11 PM.  I'm usually up at least this late every night, though most people think I'm nuts.  They'd be right.

With five kids and A LOT going on in our household, 11 PM is mighty late for a tired mama to be staying up til.  But, I can't help it.  It's sooo incredibly quiet right now.

Quiet times are few and far between here during the day.  Usually, if we have them, it's because I duct-taped the kids' mouths and threw them all in a closet.  Ok, not really..... But that does give me an idea.  Note to self: buy duct tape.

Honestly, I relish this quiet like it's my job and I. mean. literally.   I need it.  Even if it means losing precious sleep.  I need the quiet to calm my anxiety, pray a little, wind down my frazzled mind.  It's in these moments where I find myself coming to terms with my day.  Whether good or bad, if I take these moments of quiet, spend a few actually thinking (which is hard because my brain shut down back at about 4 o'clock), I can put to rest some of the anxiousness I've had, soothe my worries, and remind myself that there is always tomorrow.  And if there's not, everything else won't matter anymore anyway.

Quiet is useful to really hear the breath of God in your heart.  There is so much I've been praying about lately and I can't seem to ever really hear a definitive answer.  There is always so much noise.  But when I take some time and focus on His presence, I find myself with some answers, though many are still elusive as before.  In His time, I tell myself. In His time.

3 comments:

Angeline Trevena said...

I totally agree. I only have one child, but 10pm - 11pm is my time of peace and quiet. Just me. And I need it too!
coffintreehill.tumblr.com

Jessica Peterson said...

I get what you mean about the beauty of quiet. I only have two kids but when they're in bed and the boyfriend's in bed, that's my calm quiet time for me. I usually stay up until 1 or 2 am although I regret it almost every day. But I think to myself, I was forced to live off 5 hours of sleep when my youngest daughter was first born (actually until she was about ten months), why not do it for me now? :)

Have fun with a-z.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

"...hear the breath of God in your heart." That's nice, and feels nice, too.

Take 25 to Hollister
Don't be a Hippie