Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Beauty of RAIN

Rain.
When it rains a lot, my whole backyard is a big river and my kids are unable to play in any area of our property for days afterward.  The rain makes my hair even more frizzy than it already is, and if I happen to straighten my hair on any given day, if it rains, my hair gets curly again.

I especially hate the rain when it's cold.

But now that it's Spring and actually FEELS like Spring, I won't dwell on the fact that the rain of this past Winter was dismal, cold, awful, never-ending and depressing.   Maybe that's my SAD talking but I really really really don't like it when it rains in the Winter. Did I say really?

Spring rain feels purposeful and is therefore acceptable.  You can dance in it without feeling a chill seep clear down to your bones.  And it is needed.  The growth of Spring needs the rain.  What is the saying, April showers brings May flowers?

Yes, yes, I know that rain at any time is probably needed.  In the Winter, it fills up my well just as it does in the Spring and Summer!  And Winter rain is probably being stored in the ground for thirsty hiding plant life to sponge up through their roots in anticipation of the Spring burst.  Or something.

I'm really trying to find the beauty of rain, I swear...

Okay... 

In all honesty, I do like rain for the most part.  I love how sometimes when it rains, a slow, gentle fog floats along the street, swirling around objects, adding a bit of mystery to an other-wise normal day.  I love the sound rain makes pelting the overturned tin basin in our yard. I love how sometimes, it brings with it memories of childhood- sitting on the curb outside our family home, dropping leaves into the stream of water flowing down the street.  Watching earthworms appear on the sidewalk as if they, too, fell from the sky.

And there's just something about the smell, and the feeling of newness that comes after a good rain, when the sun is peaking out.  And the reminder of God's Promise when a rainbow graces the sky!  Rain tends to give the feeling that the old is washed away.  That there is a renewal of life around you. 

Plus, jumping in the puddles is so much fun! 

2 comments:

Rebecka Vigus said...

One of my favorite things to do is dance in the rain.

Deb Betz said...

I love the sound of thunder that accompanies the rain with summer storms. I too have that crazy curly hair that when a prediction of rain my efforts are fruitless to straighten.

great post!

visiting from A~Z

http://wearinglemon.blogspot.com