Children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate. ~Psalm 127:3-5

Monday, April 22, 2013

The Beauty of SISTERS

I have seven sisters.  Four biological and three sisters-in-law.  I am very blessed!

Growing up, my sisters and I fought just like any siblings do.  We fought over clothes, space, friends. I used to physically beat the bajizus out of my younger sister, Mary, and my sister, Kate, who is just a year and half my senior. Good times.

As we grew older, the dynamics of our relationships changed. I lived with my sister, Kate, for awhile.  Big mistake.  I lived with my oldest sister, Cori, briefly, too.  Bigger mistake!  You'd think I would've learned after the first time that living with siblings when you're older isn't always so much fun.  Plus, I won't lie, I was a little crazy....

Now that we are all even older, with families of our own, the dynamics have changed again.  Now we call each other for advice, support, encouragement, to vent or ask for prayers, or talk about our crazy mother. (Just kidding, Mama!)  It's so nice to have them in my life in this way, to be able to share so much with them, without all the fighting!

I have two sisters in law who joined our family by means of marriage to my brothers.  My life has been blessed so much by their presence, as they have made their place in my heart and our family as easily as if they had been born into it.  We, too, have shared so much over the years, from exciting news to sad news, advice and concern, baby clothes and prayers.  The dynamics of our relationship are not so different from that of "blood-related" sisters.

I also have another sister in law whom I gained in my life when I married my husband.  She was a teenager at the time and we formed a pretty good bond back then.  I cherished having a "little sister" I could be a "big sister" to, as I was unable to be that with my younger sister due to my mental health issues at the time I should've been acting like her big sister.  I was so thankful God placed this new sister in my life to help me learn a new form of servanthood, love, and giving.  While our relationship is no longer as close as I would like it to be, I am still blessed by the fact that she is my sister, and I hope that one day things can be even better.

There are so many different personalities between all of us.  It's so fun!  I love spending time with all my sisters.  God's blessing of them is an amazing gift. I hope all of my sisters know how much I love, cherish, value and pray for them.

PICTURES OF MY SISSIES:
Chris and Me at Heather & Billy's wedding
                                               
Mary, Heather, Me at the wedding


Mary and Me at Mary's 1st baby shower
Our babies born 1 day apart! Us on her Rose's baptism day

My oldest sister, Cori (AKA Pickle) on her son's (our godson's) baptism day


Kate and Me, before fights over boys



Kristen (Hubby's sister) holding Bella


Kathy (married to my brother, James) holding Jeremiah


Kate (right) and Me (left)
Kate, Mary, Me the night before my wedding

5 comments:

Vikki (www.the-view-outside.com) said...

Just stopping by to say "Hi" from the A-Z Challenge list :)

Awwwww, what a lovely post! :)

Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

xx

TaMara Sloan said...

I always wanted to have a sister growing up. I do have 2 sisters-in-law now. I also have been blessed with 4 girls. I hope they will stay close as sisters.

TaMara
Tales of a Pee Dee Mama

Manzanita said...

You have very good looking sibs. What a precious gift to have such a nice family and especially that you all get along now.
Thank you for stopping at my blog. Enjoy the A-Z and happy T-day tomorrow.

Manzanita
wanna buy a duck

Manzanita said...

This may be a duplicate because the first one vanished and I don't know if you read them first.
You are a lucky family, all good looking and filled with love and concern for each other. Sisters are special. In fact there is an old song about sisters.
Enjoy your T-day tomorrow.

Manzanita
Wanna buy a duck

Diana Wilder said...

You have a quiver full of blessings, it seems, and a journey that is well-guided. I love the baby shower photos - two moms-to-be, both smiling.